Sunday, October 5, 2008

Would You Buy A Filipino Brand Laptop?



Yes that is the question. Would you buy a laptop if it had a Filipino brand on it? Hmmm...

First thought that would come into my mind... is it legal? Another would be, is it a clone? I must sound really discriminatory versus my own kind. I'm sorry even I have a sordid view of how some Filipino products come out. No offense - I love dried mangoes and other local delicacies but a Filipino brand laptop?

I've seen though the Filipino branded phone - myPhone by SGI. It actually looks like it shows promise. They are set to launch 10 more models of the phone with an AM radio feature, as well as four or five dual SIM phones - units ranging from P2,000 to P8,000. They're also planning to introduce a "Touch Series" similar to the iPhone with multimedia and dual SIM features as well, including GPS pocket PC phone units. Apparently the same company that makes these phones will start making the laptops, calling it myBook. “myBook” is intended to be similar to the Asus mini laptops but with more power.

Well according to Inquirer, Asustek Computer Inc. recently announced improvements in its Eee PC family. The new products, called “Eee PC” 901/1000, run on Wi-Fi 802.11n, an enhanced Internet service. This means a high-definition 30-minute film can be downloaded within a minute, the company said. The new “Eee PC” family members, which are priced between $560 and $660, have up to 2GB of memory and 40GB of storage.

Maybe there is some hope after all. Although I'm not quite sure I'll trade in my IBM Think Pad for that just yet. It's a good thing that at the very least the option is presentable and competitive with what's out there.

No comments: