Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Work And Discrimination In Cebu

It's tough working in Cebu. Although I do believe that the opportunities are here and the potential to earn is available. They are pretty hard to find. Just in the last few years, a plethora of call centers and business process outsourcing (BPO) companies have blossomed and are catering to the employment needs of thousand of Cebuanos.

I can't complain. I work in an American company and am paid quite well. Don't get me wrong though, I don't feel that I owe this company anything. I have worked like a dog all these years that I've worked here. I have worked day shift, night shift, swing shift - all hours of the day and night. I have contributed enough hours to last for the next year I think.

One of the primary difficulties I think would be the cultural differences. Some foreign bosses don't trust their employees and most foreign bosses think that local employees (especially if you have offices in other parts of the world) are inferior to other nationalities.

This is of course untrue and very offensive. Discrimination is clear even here in Cebu. It's a bittersweet experience though, having all these foreign companies in Cebu. Bitter in that we all have to work for these people. And on the other had sweet because so many people need these jobs. One thing though I keep in mind is a line from the movie "Maid In Manhattan." The butler said, "Although we serve these people, we are not their servants."

No comments: